Thursday, June 18, 2009

Borderline Personality Disorder - An Emotional Hair Trigger, Often Misread

Personal Health - An Emotional Hair Trigger, Often Misread - NYTimes.com

Flesh in motionThis is an interesting article on Borderline Personality Disorder, something I was diagnosed with when I qualified for Social Security Disability in 1995. I have come to believe that the diagnosis was in error since I don't manifest any of the symptoms. I suspect my Depression, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, and Chronic Motor Tic Disorder provided a cornucopia of symptoms that perhaps confused my psychologist at the time. Also, I'm sure the fact that I was experiencing suicidal ideation contributed as well.

What was most fascinating to me about this article was the mention of Dialectical Behavior Therapy – a drivative of Cognitive Behavior Therapy. I don't know enough about it to understand how they differ from one another, but it's something to look into.

Oh, hello! It's been a while, hasn't it? I've had all I could do to manage my family life, manage my disabilities, and prepare for and attend a writer's conference. It took a heavy toll on me. I'm still ticking and neurologically out of it six days later, but I'm glad I went. More articles soon. Thanks for reading.