Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Distraction Tastes Delicious (or How I celebrated National Licorice Day)

Originally published at Absentminded Author, v1.

 








One way to celebrate the removal of a writing hurdle is to dive in and write. But why do that when you can celebrate National Licorice Day?

Those who know me know that I am as prone to distraction as the sun is prone to heat. For the most part, I try to deflect it. Gone are the days of a hundred web pages and a thousand whims. Still, when I'm sick and feeling down I like to let my creativity spin freely—picks my spirits up and sets me on the right path.

When I learned that yesterday was National Licorice Day, and I recognized that I wasn't able to get any more writing in, taking creative photographs of licorice was just my speed. And the props tasted good, too.


Already my mind has thanked me for the break by subconsciously working out the problem I had with my next chapter. Now I'm ready to tackle it.

There is a bonus. I have enough licorice to last me two weeks. My stash is tucked away for my next writing hurdle, though I don't imagine I'll bother being creative with it. I'll likely just eat it with relish. But not mustard. Too bitter.